Bishop David M. O’Connell, C.M., celebrated Mass Oct. 19 with the Society of the Divine Word community in their Bordentown residence to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the arrival of their first missionary in America.
Divine Word Father Martin Padovani preached the homily at Mass, reflecting on his ministry in the Diocese of Trenton since 1961. After the homily, Divine Word Father Guilherme Andrino, regional superior and parochial vicar of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in Lakewood, led his confreres in renewing their religious vows.
Following Mass, the Bishop and his master of ceremonies, Father Carlo Calisin, joined the Divine Word community for their anniversary dinner in the seminary refectory. Bishop O’Connell expressed the Diocese’s gratitude for the service of the SVDs here since 1941.
Currently, the missionary community staff the parishes of Our Lady of Guadalupe; St. Ann, Browns Mills, and Mother of Mercy, Asbury Park. Additionally, members of the community also reside in Bordentown.
To read more about the Divine Word Missionaries, click HERE.